Monday, May 21, 2012

earth child.



Fernweh: n. A strong desire for or impulse to wander. "far sickness". an ache for the distance. 

as of late i have had a bad case of fernweh. except the 'far' place i am searching for is not merely in the miles of travel, (although, that is also true) but more so it is a deep yearning and burning to explore the unknown around me. 

never in my life has this quote rang more true::


i have just had a yearning to explore and see things in unique ways.
to lay in the sunny sun of stG and think and imagine.
and that includes bringing along any one who will go with me.
i was babysitting my niece and nephew last thursday, and may or may not have taken them on a walk to the virgin river and let them take their shoes off, and squish their toes in the water.
it was more for me than it was for them, but they whole heartedly LOVED it.





we dug for worms and had stick races.
it gave me my fill of exploration for the day.



one of my favorite parts of any book i have ever read goes like this: 

"It's really hard to do nothing totally. Even just sitting here, like this, our bodies are churning, our minds are chattering. There's a whole commotion going on inside us.
"That's bad?" I said. 
It's bad if we want to know what's going on outside ourselves.
....
"So how do i do nothing?"
I'm not sure, there's no one answer to that. You have to find your own way. Sometimes I try to erase myself. I imagine a big pink soft soap eraser, and it's going back and forth, back and forth, back and forth, and there they go-poof!-my toes are gone. And then my feet. And then my ankles. But that's the easy part. The hard part is erasing my senses-my eyes, my ears, my nose, my tongue. And last to go is my brain. My thoughts, memories, all the voices inside my head. That's the hardest, erasing my thoughts. I'm erased. I'm gone. I'm nothing. And then the world is free to flow into me like water into an empty bowl."
.....
"Every question, every stray thought from miles around came wandering into my brain, sniffing about, scratching at my attention."

 Stargirl By Jerry Spinelli 

and speaking of stargirl::
i have found a niche in astronomy as of late as well.
one of my best friends came up to visit me in Logan a few months ago and he brought me this:


it's a star globe night light.
and it pretty much rocks my whole universe.
it shines constellations on my walls like this::



probably one of the sweetest presents i have ever been given. ever.

so you can imagine my excitement when i found out that Kanarraville, UT was named the "sweet spot" for watching the eclipse last night by NASA.
i wanted to make the drive, however, my family wasn't as determined.

so we found our own "sweet spot" down the road.
we were driving to the old airport hill and found these guys on the side of the road:



my dad, being the awesome man he is, pulled over, and we joined 'em.
don't let this picture fool you, they were very nice people.
and if you could get past the smoke, swearing, and tattoos... they were just the astronomy companions anyone could ask for.
i only got the man's name... Mr. Greensly.
a special ed teacher living in Las Vegas.
they made the special drive out just for the 4 min eclipse.

so it looked a little something like this:


and when you looked through that tele it looked like this::


it was hands down one of the top 10 things i have ever done in my life.
i'm sure glad we were able to mooch off these people's tele and watch the eclipse.
and to repay them, and to kill the 1 hour wait time before the eclipse, my dad ran to 
get some lemonade to toast to our new friendship:


 

(oh and yes, i was a little obsessed with my mom's ol fish eye camera lens, and i used it all day...)


waiting for the total eclipse... 'of my heart'.
all in all, it was a great day.


and to sum up my wanderlust post...
 the bottom line is i just want this to be my future.
{photo credit: tiffani hafen.}

my dad laughing at my excitement last night over the eclipse and the energy i put forth by forcing my family to go see it put it this way.
Mi'kel is my earth child.
what a wonderful compliment. :)

i'm off to go fancy my fernweh.
have a good day!
-earth child.


No comments:

Post a Comment

they'll be sun, sun, sun wherever you go...