Wednesday, February 15, 2012

brains in head. feet in shoes.

Back in January of 2010 my father gave me a small navy blue journal that said on the front: 

why not?
anything can happen

inside the front cover he wrote this poem from Dr. Seuss:

I have brains in my head
and feet in my shoes
i can steer myself any
direction i choose.

i am on my own and i 
know what i know and
i am the one who'll 
decide where to go.

i can't remember when exactly my father made me memorize this poem, but it was sometime soon after i graduated high school. it has always been mine and his thing since that day. one of the first quotes/poems/small words of encouragement we have required of the other. i am very grateful to be doing rather well in my studies up here at Utah State University. Which is wonderful to see all of my hard work pay off (finally), i am so grateful for all the answered prayers before each of my tests and assignments to hope that i have studied the right materials. last thursday i sent my dad a text about my success with my new classes and this was his reply:


i can't even describe the joy that ran sprints up and down my blood stream at that moment. it was precisely what i needed to hear. i have the best dad, ever. i'm so grateful for his little words of encouragement. he is truly my number one fan, and i wouldn't have it any other way. i look up to him so much and hope to be half the person he is one day.

so, point of this post is not only to prove that my dad is the greatest.
but to also teach whoever cares enough to read this blog today a small lesson.
you, my dear friend, have brains in your head.
you have feet in those shoes of yours.
you can go anywhere you want in life.
don't ever forget it.
if one area of your life isn't going as planned.
(if you don't score as high as you would like on a test)
or many areas of your life aren't going together as planned.
(your boy/girl friend breaks up with you, you feel lost or alone)
take a deep breath, relax, and regroup.
you KNOW what you know!
YOU are the one who will decide where you will go in life.
so, decide what you want.
go out there, and go get it.
you so totally got this.
-love, your #1 fan.

2 comments:

  1. oh gosh kel i just love you. Seriously-- I really really needed to read that right now :)

    ReplyDelete

they'll be sun, sun, sun wherever you go...